Tuesday, December 26, 2006

1944 Going My Way

Stars: Bing Crosby

It seems like one should just naturally like this movie. Bing Crosby in a gentle fatherly role - surely this means that I should just love it. But I didn't. I was bored. It was trite and predictable and overall hum-drum.

Sure, the choir sang well - so they should - but unbelievably well for street kids. Don't get me wrong, I love a good musical, but this was neither musical or dramatic story. It was such a little of both that it did neither genre well. The "good" people were saccharine sweet, and the "bad" people, really weren't that bad.

The supporting cast was adequate, but so glossed over was the story, that I felt no connection with any character. One reviewer on IMDB described it as being "heart-warming without being over-sappy". Did we see the same movie? Or does this say more about my state of mind that this film did not cheer my heart?

2 Comments:

Blogger coffeesnob said...

beanie girl,

you want criticism? sorry you'll have to make do with concurrence. "going my way" is schmatlzy. too schmaltzy. and as you say offers us the tamest "bad kids" since micky rooney played a "tough" in "boys town". three superb films came out that year: "laura", "miracle of morgan's creek" & "double indemnity". how "going" won best picture oscar is amazing. amazingly sad. but there was a war on. and people like escapist things in dark times. roseatte presentations of human nature and all that.

as you've set email to "no reply" for sound pest control reasons, i'll attach replies below.

reading lots of books at once only denotes frivolousness.

i mean "segway" as in the 2-wheeled transporter. saw an indian on federation square. only made the more magically improbable.

thank you for soliciting my opinion. hope you didn't buy the film, only rented it. "going my way" isn't what i'd call a keeper. if it was a date you wouldn't ring back the next day.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 4:45:00 pm  
Blogger Cath said...

Sadly Lattelover... I have been purchasing ALL of the Oscar movies - I have this one to remind forever of my sheer ability to waste money wantonly.

Thanks for clearing up the segway misunderstanding... I thought for sure there was a reason - and not just ignorance!

Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:20:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home